Sunday, November 11, 2007

You have to understand everything

Again, the ignorant leader came out with his "brilliant" quote in the meeting.
"I cannot accept you don't understand anything that interacts with our system... "

Basically he wants me to understand an external system that interacts with our system, and I have some rough idea what the system is doing, what the output is to our system and how should we deal with that.
I thought that is pretty ok for me since I am not the one who develops that external piece.

Below are the details...

He wants me to know
1. How internally the components work.
2. How to configure the external system and pass the configuration file to the external team which handle them, ask them to deploy it.
3. When problem occurs, he wants me to check the log of the external system.

my answers
1. I'm not the one who develops this; I don't have enough documentation for this.
2. I don't know the standard practice of that team and don't understand the system environment.
3. I don't even have the system access right.

The last point - THIS IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY IDIOT!

That's y we have so many IT roles in the organization. Especially in MNC the system environment is so complex, in every region there are hundreds, thousands of users using the system 24/7. Don't try to pretend that you are expert in every field in such an environment. You wouldn't know the impact and I bet you don't want to take responsibility.

Using a database doesn't mean you know how to fully configure it, you maybe know part of it but you still need the expert to help u, they are the DBA(Database Administrator).

Using the Unix doesn't mean you know how to backup to tape, how the internal components works and so on and you need some Unix expert to help you, that's TEAM WORK.

We need TEAM WORK not HERO in every Org.

If he is really so good about all the systems, y don't he gets all other’s pays and replacing them instead of just staying here with his age of 4x, acting as a KNOW-ALL leader in a team of 4. His idealism becomes his stupidness at last.

Be practical... think before you speak as a leader.

Mars.

No comments: